How To Clean LG Front Load Washing Machine (Ultimate Guide)
As you may have guessed, cleaning your LG front load washing machine is one of the important responsibilities that come with your washer.
Using your LG front load washer without periodic cleaning will only do more harm than good to your laundry.
Over time, soap residues, dirt, grime, and other minerals from laundry detergents can cause molds, mildew, and odors to build up in your LG washer.
This can cause your washer to smell and increase wash cycle times unnecessarily.
Cleaning your LG front load washer is vital for keeping it free from molds, dirt, limescale, and musky odors.
In this article, we will show you how to properly clean all parts of your LG front load washing machine:
- Pump filter
- Inlet filters
- Exterior parts
Keep reading to learn how to properly clean your LG front load washing machine step-by-step.
Table of Contents
Basic supplies needed to clean LG front load washing machine
- Washer cleaner
- Baking soda
Cleaning LG front load washing machine drum
Your LG front load washing machine drum can be a breeding place for germs and bacteria which can affect getting a shiny clean laundry.
Here are the easy steps to clean your LG front-load washing machine drum:
- Start by unplugging the machine from the power supply.
- Remove any laundry from the drum of your washer.
- Pour washer cleaner into your washer and run an empty wash at the highest temperature of 203 °F (95°)
- Wipe the inside and outside of the drum with a damp towel and leave the door open to completely air dry.
- In the absence of a washer cleaner, you can use one cup of white vinegar. But this should only be done occasionally as too much vinegar can cause wear in your tub with time.
- LG recommends that you clean your LG front load washer at least every 30 days.
- Always keep your drum dry by leaving the door open for some time to limit the build-up of moisture and mold in your drum.
Modern LG front load washers have a function called the tub clean cycle which is perfect for cleaning your drum.
Cleaning LG front load washing machine detergent compartment
Detergent and limescale buildup in the dispenser drawer can spoil your laundry and also cause your LG front-load washing machine to not dispense properly.
It’s necessary to clean your dispenser drawer frequently so as to have shiny clean laundry always.
Here are the easy steps to clean your LG front load dispenser drawer:
- Remove your detergent dispenser by pulling it out gently but with little force.
- Scrub the drawer thoroughly with a brush removing all detergent residuals.
- Clean inside the dispenser housing thoroughly.
- Rinse the dispenser, dry it, and then replace it back in its position.
Cleaning LG front load washer drain pump filter or trap
LG front-load washing machines have a trap that is used to trap larger residues like buttons and coins from clothes, which could block your drain system.
A clogged pump filter can cause poor performance in your LG front-load washing machine.
It is one of the common causes of smell and poor drainage in washing machines.
You need to regularly clean the drain pump filter to ensure your front load washing machine is working efficiently and effectively.
It is recommended to check and clean the filter 5 or 6 times a year.
These are the steps to clean your LG front load washing machine drain pump filter:
- Disconnect your washer from the power supply.
- Locate the pump filter panel at the bottom left-hand side of your LG front-load washing machine.
- Place a towel beneath to catch any water that may flow when you open the filter.
- Open the panel using a flat screwdriver.
- You’ll see a small drain tube inside the panel where the filter is located.
- Lower the small tube to drain any excess water into a small cup or bowl.
- After draining the excess water, remove the filter by turning it clockwise.
- Clean and remove all debris and other particles in the filter.
- Wash the filter thoroughly under running water and rinse with hot water.
- Check inside the filter hole, remove any foreign objects, and clean the inside with a towel.
- Insert your finger in the hole and check that the pump impellers at the back rotate.
- Screw the pump filter back onto the washer by turning it anti-clockwise. Make sure it’s tightened to prevent any leakage. And screw back the panel.
Cleaning LG front load washer inlet filter
The inlet valve filter may get clogged with debris and other particles from hard water that flows into your LG front load washing during a wash cycle.
This can cause a slow flow of water into your LG front-load washing machine and increase the time it takes to finish your laundry.
Your LG front load washer will display an error message when there’s a blockage in the inflow of water.
Follow these steps to clean your LG front-load washing machine inlet filter:
- Start by closing your water supply tap.
- Unscrew the cap connecting your water pipe and the inlet valve which is located at the back of your LG front-load washing machine.
- Remove the filter from the inlet valve by pulling it out,
- Use a soft brush to remove debris and other particles from the filter. And wash with baking soda for thorough cleaning.
- Dry the filter thoroughly before putting it back.
Tip: It is recommended to replace your filters once every year.
Cleaning LG front load Seal or gasket
The water you use for washing can contain particles that accumulate and get stuck in the door seal or gasket which can cause molds and mildew.
- To clean your washer seal, use a damp cloth and soapy water.
- Carefully wipe around the seal, and if any dirt remains use a toothbrush to scrub the surface.
- Dry your seal with a cloth after every wash cycle to prevent molds and mildew from forming in the seal.
Cleaning LG front load washing machine door and exterior parts
Finally, you will need to clean the exterior of your LG front-load washing machine.
Follow the steps below:
- Spritz a mild detergent and warm water mixture on a cloth and clean the inside and outside of the door until it’s clean.
- Wipe the outside of your LG front-load washing machine with lukewarm water and mild detergent.
- Wipe your washer dry with a soft cloth.
Tip: Avoid using any abrasives or alcoholic liquids to clean your washer. Always use natural constituents.
Do not hose down your washer with water since washers aren’t completely waterproof!
What to do after using your LG front-load washing machine
There are certain basic etiquettes that will allow your washer to last very long without trouble.
Do these anytime you finish using your LG washer:
- Press the power button to turn off your washer
- Turn off the plug or power supply to your washer
- Turn off both hot and cold water taps where applicable
- Always leave the door open for about an hour or two, to allow moisture inside the washer to evaporate.
Read other related articles on our blog: