Indeed, cleaning your LG top load washing machine is one of the important maintenance practices you should not neglect.
Using your LG top load washer without routine cleaning will prevent your washer from its optimal performance.
Over time, soap residues, dirt, grime, and other minerals from detergents you use for your laundry can cause molds and mildew to build up in your LG washer.
This can cause your washer to smell and deteriorate gradually.
Learning how to clean your LG top load washer is vital for keeping it free from molds, dirt, limescale, and stinky smells.
In this article, we will explain how to properly clean all the parts of your LG top-load washing machine:
- Pump filter
- Lint filter
- Inlet filters
- Exterior parts
Keep reading to learn how to properly clean your LG top load washing machine step-by-step.
Table of Contents
Basic supplies needed to clean LG top load washing machine
- Dish soap
How to clean LG top load washing machine drum
Your LG top load washing machine drum can be a breeding place for germs and bacteria which can affect getting a shiny clean laundry.
Here are the easy steps to clean your LG top load washing machine drum:
- Start by unplugging the machine from the power supply.
- Remove any laundry from the drum of your washer.
- Pour one cup of white distilled vinegar into your washer and run an empty wash at the highest temperature of 203 °F (95°)
- Wipe the inside and outside of the drum with a damp towel and leave the door open to completely air dry.
- We recommend that you clean your LG top load washer at least every 30 days.
- Always remove your laundry from the washer immediately after washing to prevent mold from forming in your laundry drum.
- Always keep your laundry drum dry by leaving the door open for some time to limit the build-up of moisture and mold in your drum.
Modern LG top load washers have a feature called the tub clean cycle which cleans your LG washer tub to optimal performance.
How to clean LG top load washing machine detergent compartment
Debris and limescale buildup in the dispenser drawer can spoil your laundry and also cause your LG top load washing machine to not dispense properly.
So if you want your clothes cleaned effectively, it’s necessary to clean your dispenser drawer frequently.
Here are the easy steps to clean your LG top load dispenser drawer:
- Remove your detergent compartment by pulling it out gently but with little force.
- Scrub the drawer thoroughly with a brush removing all detergent residuals.
- Clean inside the dispenser housing thoroughly.
- Rinse the dispenser, dry it, and then replace it back in its position.
How to clean LG washing machine drain pump filter or trap
LG washing machines have a trap that is used to trap larger residues like buttons and coins, which could block your draining system.
A clogged pump filter can cause poor performance in your LG washing machine.
It is one of the common causes of smell and poor drainage in washing machines.
You need to regularly remove items that are trapped to ensure your LG washing machine is working efficiently and effectively.
It is recommended to check and clean the filter 5 or 6 times a year.
These are the steps to clean your LG washing machine filter or trap:
- Disconnect your washer from the power supply.
- Locate the pump filter panel at the bottom left-hand side of your LG washing machine.
- Place a towel beneath to catch any water that may flow when you open the filter.
- Open the panel using a flat screwdriver.
- You’ll see a small drain tube inside the panel where the filter is located.
- Lower the small tube to drain any excess water into a small cup or bowl.
- After draining the excess water, remove the filter by turning it clockwise.
- Clean and remove all debris and other particles in the filter.
- Wash the filter thoroughly under running water and rinse with hot water.
- Check inside the filter hole, remove any foreign objects, and clean the inside with a towel.
- Insert your finger in the hole and check that the pump impellers at the back rotate.
- Screw the pump filter back onto the washer by turning it anti-clockwise. Make sure it’s tightened to prevent any leakage. And screw back the panel.
How to clean LG top load washing machine inlet filter
The inlet valve filter may get choked or clogged with debris and other particles from hard water that flows into your LG top load washing during a wash cycle.
This can cause a slow flow of water into your LG top-load washing machine or may cause water not to flow into it at all.
Your LG top load washer will display an error message when there’s a blockage in the inflow of water.
Follow these steps to clean your LG top load washing machine inlet filter:
- Start by closing your water supply tap.
- Unscrew the cap connecting your water pipe and the inlet valve which is located at the back of your LG top-load washing machine.
- Remove the filter from the inlet valve by pulling it out,
- Use a soft brush to remove debris and other particles from the filter. And wash with baking soda for thorough cleaning.
- Dry the filter thoroughly before putting it back.
Tip: It is recommended to replace your filters once every year.
How to clean LG top load washing machine Seal
The water you use for washing can contain particles that accumulate and get stuck in the door seal which can cause molds and mildew.
- To clean your washer seal, use a damp cloth and soapy water.
- Carefully wipe around the seal, and if any dirt remains use a toothbrush to scrub the surface.
- Dry your seal with a cloth after every wash cycle to prevent molds and mildew from forming in the seal.
How to clean LG top load washing machine door and exterior parts
Finally, you will need to clean the exterior of your LG top load washing machine.
Follow the steps below:
- Spritz a mild detergent and warm water mixture on a cloth and clean the inside and outside of the door until it’s clean.
- Wipe the outside of your LG top load washing machine with lukewarm water and mild detergent.
- Wipe your washer dry with a soft cloth.
Tip: Avoid using any abrasives or alcoholic liquids to clean your washer. Always use natural constituents.
What to do after using LG top load washing machine
It’s important to maintain certain basic etiquettes with your LG top load washer that will allow it to last very long without issues.
Do these anytime you finish your washing:
- Press the power button to turn off your washer
- Turn off the plug or power supply to your washer
- Turn off both hot and cold water taps where applicable
- Always leave the door open for about an hour or two, to allow moisture inside the washer to evaporate.
Check out our other interesting articles: