Cleaning your Maytag washing machine is an important task that should be done on a regular basis for a clean wash.
Even though the washing machine is used for cleaning it also needs to be cleaned over time.
The truth is this;
After some time, soap residues, dirt, grime, and other minerals from detergents you use for your laundry can cause molds and mildew to build up in your Maytag washing machine.
Learning how to properly clean your Maytag washing machine is important for keeping your washer free from molds, dirt, limescale, and stinky smells.
This will help to maintain the performance and longevity of your washer.
In this article, we will explain how to properly clean your Maytag washing machine including the:
- Dispenser drawer
- Pump filter
- Inlet filter
- Door and exterior parts
Let’s dive into the step-by-step process of how to deep clean your Maytag washing machine.
Table of Contents
In order to clean your machine, you will need some basic supplies:
- Dish soap
- Baking soda
How to clean Maytag washing machine drum
Your Maytag washing machine drum can be a breeding ground for germs and bacteria which can affect the performance of your washer and the cleanliness of your clothes.
These are the easy steps to follow in order to clean your Maytag washing machine drum:
- Start by unplugging the machine from the power outlet.
- Remove any laundry from the drum of your washing machine.
- Pour one cup of vinegar into your washer and run an empty wash at the highest temperature (60 degrees)
- Wipe the inside and outside of the drum with a damp towel and leave the door open to completely air dry.
- You should ensure that you clean your Maytag washer at least once a month.
- Always remove your laundry from the washer immediately after washing to prevent mold from forming in your laundry drum.
- Always keep your laundry drum dry by leaving the door open for some time to prevent bad odor from your Maytag washing machine.
How to clean Maytag washing machine dispenser drawer
Soap residues and limescale buildup in the dispenser drawer can spoil your laundry and also cause your Maytag washing machine to smell.
So if you don’t want your clean fabrics to always come out soiled and with a bad odor, it’s necessary to clean your dispenser drawer frequently.
Here are the easy steps to clean your Maytag dispenser drawer:
- Remove your dispenser drawer by pulling it out gently but with a bit of force. Depending on the model of your washer, the dispenser drawer may or may not be completely removable.
- Soak the drawer in hot soapy water for about 2 hours
- Add baking soda to your water if your drawer is very dirty or has dried detergent build-up.
- Scrub the drawer thoroughly with a brush after soaking.
- Rinse the dispenser, dry it, and then replace it back in its compartment.
For Maytag models with automatic liquid and detergent and softener dosing, follow these steps:
- Ensure that all the compartments are empty before cleaning.
- Press the release button and pull out the drawer completely taking notice of the leakage of detergent residues.
- Fill the drawer with hot water
- Shake the drawer to make sure that all of its compartments have water.
- Pour out the water from the compartments and insert it back.
How to clean Maytag washing machine Pump filter
The Pump filter on the washing machine is used to trap larger residues like buttons and coins, which could block your draining system.
A clogged pump filter can cause poor performance in your Maytag washing machine.
It is one of the common causes of smell and poor drainage in washing machines.
It is important to regularly clean your pump filter to ensure your Maytag washing machine is working efficiently and effectively.
Maytag recommends checking and cleaning the pump filter 5 or 6 times a year.
Follow these steps to clean your Maytag washing machine pump filter:
- Disconnect your washer from the power supply.
- Locate the pump filter panel at the bottom left-hand side of your Maytag washing machine.
- Place a towel beneath to catch any water that may flow when you open the filter.
- Open the panel using a flat screwdriver.
- You’ll see a small drain tube inside the panel where the filter is located.
- Lower the small tube to drain any excess water into a small cup or bowl.
- After draining the excess water, remove the filter by turning it clockwise.
- Clean and remove all debris and other particles in the filter.
- Wash the filter thoroughly under running water and rinse with hot water.
- Check inside the filter hole, remove any foreign objects, and clean the inside with a towel.
- Screw the pump filter back onto the washer by turning it anti-clockwise. Make sure it’s tightened to prevent any leakage.
How to clean Maytag washing machine inlet filter
The inlet valve filter may get choked or clogged with debris and other particles from water that flows into your Maytag washing during a wash cycle.
This can cause a slow flow of water into your Maytag washing machine or may cause water not to flow into it at all.
It is therefore important to clean your inlet valve filter at least once every month depending on the frequency of usage of your Maytag washing machine.
Follow this easy process to clean your Maytag washing machine inlet filter:
- Start by closing your water supply tap.
- Unscrew the cap connecting your water pipe and the inlet valve which is located at the back of your Maytag washing machine.
- Remove the filter from the inlet valve by pulling it out,
- Use a soft brush to remove debris and other particles from the filter. And wash with baking soda for thorough cleaning.
- Dry the filter thoroughly before putting it back.
Tip: It is recommended to replace your filters once every year.
How to clean Maytag Front Load washing machine Seal
The water you use for washing can accumulate and get stuck in the door seal which can cause molds and mildew.
Follow these simple steps:
- Use a damp cloth and soapy water.
- Carefully wipe around the seal, and if any dirt remains use a toothbrush to scrub the surface.
- Dry your seal with a cloth after every wash cycle to prevent molds and mildew from forming in the seal.
How to clean Maytag washing machine door
You need to frequently clean in and around the door of your washing machine because it always gets in contact with water and detergent when you are doing the laundry.
Follow these simple steps:
- Open the door or lid of your washing machine.
- Remove any clothing from the drum of your washer.
- Wipe down the inside and outside of your door with mild detergent and water using a damp cloth.
How to clean Maytag washing machine exterior parts
Finally, you will need to clean the exterior of your Maytag washing machine.
- Spray the outside of your Maytag washing machine with lukewarm water and vinegar.
- Clean the outside of your Maytag washing machine including the control panel using a soft damp cloth.
- Be sure to dry the machine thoroughly before plugging it back in and using it again.
Tip: Avoid using any abrasives or alcoholic liquids to clean your washer. Always use natural constituents.
Related article: Maytag Quick Wash Cycle (How To Use It Correctly)
Proper cleaning and maintenance of your Maytag washing machine are important to make your washing machine last longer.
Make it a routine to clean your Maytag washing machine at least once every month depending on how often you use your washer.