Maytag Top Load Washer Filter Location (How To Locate)
The filter on a Maytag top load washer is one of the important components, which needs to be kept in good condition always.
The Maytag top load washer filter is responsible for catching lint and other foreign materials from your laundry that may reduce the quality of your laundry, cause drainage problems, and smells.
The problem is that sometimes you may not know exactly how to locate the filter for cleaning or replacement purposes.
So if you are having a tough time finding the filter you may be asking yourself, “Where is the filter on a Maytag washing machine?”, then you are on the right article.
Locating the filter on your Maytag top-load washer is not difficult.
The easiest and fastest way to locate your washer filters is by referring to your owner’s manual.
The Maytag top load washer filter is located inside the center of the agitator tube beneath the detergent dispenser for a top load washer with an agitator. The filter can then be removed, cleaned, and replaced back.
In this article, we are going to show you how to easily locate the filter on a Maytag washing machine without wasting time looking for it.
Table of Contents
Do all Maytag top load washers have a filter?
All Maytag top load washers have a filter you can remove directly. The Maytag washer filters are a system to deal with lint and other debris that comes from your clothes during laundry.
The filter needs to be cleaned regularly to prevent the build-up of materials that can cause problems with your washer such as clothes stains and washer drainage problems.
Where is the filter on Maytag top load washer?
Some new models are designed to be self-cleansing and as such, do not have any removable filters.
For Maytag top load washers that have a filter, you will usually find the filter at the top of the agitator where you can unscrew and remove them. It would usually be below the detergent dispenser on the agitator or at the bottom of the agitator.
Other Maytag washers don’t have a removable filter, you would find the filter near the drain pump. You may have to remove the outer housing of the washer to locate it.
Some other top-load washers don’t have a filter at all but have a coin trap on the bottom of the tub.
Where is the lint trap in a Maytag washer?
The lint trap in a Maytag top load washer can be found in the agitator for a washer that uses an agitator. For an impeller Maytag top load washer, you can find the lint trap by looking around the top rims inside the main tub. You may find a plastic removable screen that catches lint and debris.
How to remove and clean Maytag top load washer lint trap
It is always advisable to regularly clean the lint trap on your Maytag top load washing machine because they get clogged occasionally (3-6 months) as you do your laundry.
Removing the lint trap on your agitator-type top load washer is a simple process.
Follow these steps below to locate and clean your Maytag top load washer filter:
- Open the lid of your Maytag top load washer
- Turn the agitator (plastic stick in the middle of the washer) anticlockwise to open the top
- Pull out the lint trap and clean or brush off any lint or debris attached to it.
- Wash the filter with lukewarm water
- Put back the lint trap in its original position
- Fix the agitator top back by twisting clockwise.
Maytag top load washer filter location no agitator
If your Maytag top load washer does not have an agitator, you can usually locate the filter inside the main tub as rectangular plastic with a mesh attached to the side.
You may check inside the user manual of your Maytag washer if you are not able to tell if your washer has a filter you can remove or not.
Importance of cleaning Maytag washing machine filter
The importance of keeping the washer filter clean cannot be overemphasized.
Here are some of the benefits of cleaning the filter on your Maytag washing machine.
- Removes lint and other debris: Lint and other debris can accumulate in the filter over time, which can affect the performance of your Maytag washing machine. By cleaning the filter, you can remove these particles and improve your Maytag washer’s efficiency.
- Improves your Maytag washer’s performance: A clogged filter can lead to poor performance of the washing machine, such as reduced water flow or decreased spin speed. Cleaning the filter regularly will help to restore and maintain the performance of your washer.
- To prevent malfunctions: A clogged filter can cause severe damage to the drain pump and cause your washer to malfunction and can be costly to repair. To avoid such occurrences, you’d rather clean the filters regularly.
- Saves you money in the long run: If your washing machine is not functioning at its best, it may use more energy and water, which can increase your utility bills.
- To extend the life of the washing machine: A dirty filter may put a lot of strain on your Maytag washing machine and reduce its lifespan. You are able to extend the life of your washer when the filters are always clean and free of debris.
How long do washing machine filters last?
Washing machine filters can last up to a couple of years depending on your usage and frequency of cleaning them. Washer filters should be cleaned every 3 to 4 months in order for them to work efficiently and last longer.
Check out other helpful articles on our blog: