Using the right settings on your washer can be the best thing you do for your clothing.
It’s not enough to simply toss your clothes in the washer and hit the start button.
But have you ever tried changing the wash cycle on your washer but it stays stuck in a different mode?
You can change between wash cycles depending on the type of clothes or fabric you are washing.
But if your Kenmore washer is stuck and only works on the delicate cycle, then there is a problem since the delicate cycle is only for fabrics that need a gentle wash.
You may need to use the heavy-duty cycle for more tougher and dirty clothes.
Here is what to do if your Kenmore washer only works on a delicate cycle:
- Reset your Kenmore washer
- Push washer in diagnostic mode
- Inspect the ribbon cable located in the control panel
- Refer to the washer user manual
In this article, we are going to show you all the possible fixes you can try if your Kenmore washing machine only works on the delicate cycle.
Table of Contents
Why does Kenmore washing machine get stuck on delicate wash only?
There are many things that happen when your washer is running.
Actions such as severe vibrations of your Kenmore washer can cause some components in your washer to get loosen with time.
For instance, some electrical connections can develop lose contacts due to excessive vibrations and cause different types of malfunctioning such as your washer only working on a particular cycle.
Also, moving your washer from one place to the other especially using a vehicle can cause it to not work perfectly after it’s installed.
That is the reason why transit bolts are usually provided on new washers.
Kenmore washing machine only works on delicate cycle? (Try these fixes)
These are tests that have worked for us and others who have tried them out.
So if your Kenmore washer works on only delicate wash, do well to follow these steps in other to get your washer working in other wash options.
1. Reset your Kenmore washing machine
Many problems you face with your Kenmore washer can be solved by resetting your washing machine.
Any time you face an issue with your washer the first thing you may want to do is reset your washer and see if that fixes the problem.
Your Kenmore washer may be working on only the delicate wash cycle simply because of some interference or jam in the control system.
And you can usually fix that by resetting your washer.
How to reset Kenmore washing machine
- Turn off Kenmore washer by pressing the power button
- Disconnect washer from the power supply
- Wait for about 5 to 10 minutes
- Plug washer back
- Turn off the washer
This is the very basic way to try to reset your Kenmore washing machine. If the problem still persists, then try using option 2 to reset your Kenmore washing machine.
- Press the stop button two times and press the power button
- Choose your wash cycle and a wash option as seen on the control panel
- Press the start button for the reset to complete
- Restart Kenmore washer
You can also check out our article on resetting Hoover washing machine.
2. Put washer in diagnostic mode
If your Kenmore washer is not working properly, the best way to find out the problem is to run a diagnostic test on it.
It is easy to put your Kenmore washer in diagnostic mode and you can do that in a couple of clicks and turns.
Here is how to put Kenmore washing machine in diagnostic mode:
- Empty your washer and keep the door shut
- Press the Start/Pause
- Select Drain or spin
- Press the spin speed touchpad and select ‘’No spin’’
- Press ‘’Prewash’’ 4 times in 5 seconds.
- Or press Rinse 4 times in 5 seconds if you don’t have the prewash option
- The diagnostic will begin with C:00 lighting up
Read also: Roper washer stuck on sensing
3. Inspect the ribbon cable in the control panel.
As we mentioned earlier, excessive vibrations and movement can cause setting electronic components to malfunction.
When that happens you need to open the control panel and check that there aren’t any detached or loose connections.
To do that, follow the steps below:
- Unplug Kenmore washer
- Detach the two control panel end caps located at the two ends of your washer by pulling them from the top.
- Unscrew the two screws and remove the top cover (control panel)
- Locate a grey ribbon cable that connects to other components
- Detach it and fix it back firmly
- Fix all components back and turn on your washer.
Tip: While your washer is still unplugged, you can poke the connections with your finger to make sure all connections are tight.
This fix will normally solve the problem of your Kenmore washer only working in the delicate wash and you will be able to choose other wash options.
4. Refer to the user manual that you are correctly operating your washer
Sometimes it could just be that you aren’t changing the wash cycle or options the right way.
The easy way to ensure that you are doing it the right way is to refer to your user manual for your specific model for directions.
As explained simply in this article, you now know that you can usually fix the problem of your Kenmore washer only working in delicate mode by resetting your washer and running a diagnostic test.
You can further check the electronic connections by opening the top panel and inspecting the control panel to ensure that there aren’t any loose connections or visible faults.
Lastly, you can refer to your user manual to ensure that you are changing the wash settings the right way.