While it is popularly known that you can hand wash mosquito nets, you may be wondering if you can put them in your washer instead.
You can wash a mosquito net in a washing machine. Most mosquito nets are primarily made of polyester material which is durable and has enough strength to withstand the agitation of a washer without getting damaged. You should however use cold water and mild detergent.
In this article, we will show you how best to wash a mosquito net in a washer without having to worry about anything.
Table of Contents
Can mosquito net be washed in a washer?
Mosquito nets are mostly made of polyester being the primary material although there are manufacturers who make 100% cotton nets which they indicate can be machine washed.
Regardless of whether your net is made of polyester or cotton, you can generally put it in a washer unless otherwise indicated by the manufacturer but make sure to use a mild detergent and only use cold water.
Aside from washing your mosquito net in a washer, you should not do certain things you would do to your regular garments.
- Do not tumble dry mosquito nets.
- Do not hot-wash your nets.
- Do not spin dry mosquito nets.
Will mosquito net work after putting in a washer?
Most nets are made of polyester, a robust and durable material that can withstand the gentle agitation of a washing machine and will work after putting them in the washer.
However, nets made from other materials like cotton or those with delicate weaves generally may require alternative cleaning methods to prevent damage.
Some mosquito nets come with special coatings or treatments to enhance their repellent properties or durability.
We advise you to check the manufacturer’s instructions to determine whether these treatments are compatible with machine washing.
How to wash mosquito net in a washing machine
Washing a mosquito net in a washing machine requires extra care since nets are specially made with special weaves and have a chemical composition.
Follow these steps to wash your mosquito net inside your washer:
- Prepare the Net for Washing:
- Remove any decorative elements or accessories from the net before washing. Inspect the net for damages such as small tears or loose threads and address them before washing to prevent them from damaging further.
- Consider placing the net in a mesh laundry bag to provide an extra layer of protection during the washing process.
- Choose the Right Detergent:
- Select a mild detergent that is free from harsh chemicals and additives. Harsh detergents can weaken the fabric and compromise the net’s ability to repel insects.
- If the net is treated with special coatings, use a detergent that won’t strip away these treatments. Refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines for detergent recommendations.
- Select Appropriate Washing Settings:
- Set the washing machine to a cold water cycle with a maximum temperature of 30°C.
- Opt for a gentle or delicate cycle to minimize agitation.
- Post-Washing Care:
- Once the washing cycle is complete, promptly remove the mosquito net from the machine to prevent wrinkles or creases. Avoid wringing the net, as this could damage the delicate fibers.
- Allow the net to air dry in a well-ventilated area, avoiding direct sunlight. Hanging the net rather than laying it flat can help maintain its shape.
How long can mosquito net be washed in a washing machine?
While you should not overwash your nets in a washer, it is advisable to clean your nets at least 4 times a year according to USAID.
The National Institutes of Health also mentions that washing your mosquito nets below 20 washes will not affect the efficacy of your net.
How many times can a mosquito net be washed?
You should wash your mosquito nets inside a washer for a maximum of 30 minutes as by this time your net will have been adequately cleaned while maintaining its integrity.
Can mosquito net be washed in washing machine front load?
Although washing machines generally work based on the same principle sometimes you may wonder if certain items can be put in your specific washer type.
You can put a mosquito net in a front-load washing machine without any problem provided you do so using cold water and mild detergent.
Can mosquito net be washed in washing machine top load?
A mosquito net can also be washed in a top-loading washing machine.
The key considerations for washing a mosquito net in a washing machine, whether it’s a front-load or top-load machine, include using cold water and a mild detergent.
Top-loading washing machines generally operate on similar principles to front-loading machines, and the key factors for gentle washing, such as water temperature and detergent choice, remain consistent.
Will my mosquito net tear in the washer?
The likelihood of a mosquito net tearing in the washer depends on several factors, including the material of the net, its overall condition, and how it’s handled during the washing process.
Assess the overall condition of the mosquito net before washing. If the net has existing tears or weak spots, there is a higher risk of further damage during washing.
It’s a good idea to place the net in a mesh bag to reduce the impact of the washer’s agitation while still providing a good wash.