Will A Washing Machine Fit In A Rav4? (Easy)
Transporting Washing machines can be a thoughtful activity for most people due to their bulky nature and some petty challenges that come along.
If you are going to be getting a new washer or transporting your old washer and probably a dryer, you may want to do that using your Toyota Rav4.
We know you trust your Rav4 for its generous cargo space.
But considering the bulky nature of some washing machines, you may wonder if that’s going to work.
Well, you are lucky! No need to go hire a truck.
Will a washing machine fit in a Rav4?
Yes, a washing machine will perfectly fit in a Rav4. The Toyota Rav4 has enough cargo space to fit in a full-size washing machine. The average size of a large capacity washer is 21ft³ whiles the cargo volume of Rav4 is 37,6ft³ and 69.8ft³ with the seating area. Making it a no-brainer to fit a washer in a Rav4.
With that said, let’s explore in detail the nitty-gritty of fitting your washing machine in a Rav4.
Table of Contents
Is a washing machine too heavy for a Rav4?
You can be assured that your washing machine’s weight is significantly lesser when compared to the payload of a Rav4.
Large-capacity washing machines can weigh about 230lb or 105kg.
A medium-capacity top-loading washing machine weighs around 150lb or 68kg while a medium front-loading washer weight can weigh up to 180lb or 82kg.
On the other hand, the Toyota Rav4 LE possesses a maximum payload of 1240lb whiles the Luxurious Rav4 Limited and and Adventure grades have payloads of 1,125lb and 1,090lb respectively.
That means that in all cases, the weight of your washer wouldn’t be a problem when transporting your washing machine in a Rav4.
How to fit a washing machine in a Rav4
Fitting a washing machine in a Rav4 is as easy as you would already know.
In fact, it’s almost like putting any other appliance in a Rav4, except that you need to take some extra precautions.
Follow these simple steps to fit your washer in a Rav4.
- Check the dimensions of your washer
- Confirm the Cargo dimensions
- Compare washer and Rav4dimensions
- Move washer into your car
1. Measure the dimensions of the washer
|Washer Dimensions 5.3ft³|
|A||Height (Including leg)||42½||1078.87|
|C||Top of Lid Height (with feet)||39⅜||1000.58|
Although it’s not so necessary, you can check the dimensions of your washer to confirm.
Because we have already established that even large capacity washers will fit in a Rav4 effortlessly.
Standard front load washing machines are 27inches wide, 39inches tall, and 34inches deep
Their counterpart Top load washers are 27 inches wide, 42 to 44 inches tall, and less deep with depths of 27 to 28 inches.
These dimensions may vary depending on the brand and model of your washer, that is why you might want to take physical measurements with a tape measure to be sure.
Especially if you intend to carry your washer with other stuff in your Rav4.
2. Know the dimensions of your Rav4
Ideally, the next thing you need to do is check the dimensions of the cargo space dimensions
Use a tape measure and check the length, width, and height of the cargo space.
But you don’t need to do that because it’s standard and you can find it in the table below.
|Trunk volume (ft³)||37.6|
|Cargo volume (ft³)||69.8|
|Cargo width (behind rear seat)(in)||40|
|Cargo width (min/max)(in)||39.4/59|
|Cargo height (min/max)(in)||34.5/36.6|
3. Compare washer and Rav4 dimensions
The size of your washer will be less than the cargo space available in a Rav4.
There should also be enough clearance at the sides and top of the Rav4 when you put the washer in.
This will prevent the washer scratch and damaging your vehicle.
You will also need this space to put cushions or pillows that will prevent damage to the glasses when your washer rocks and bangs during transportation.
4. Move the washer into the Rav4
Now that you have confirmed the dimensions of your washer and the Rav4, you can be sure to proceed to load your washer for transportation.
Follow these simple steps to load your washer:
- The washer is heavy so you’ll probably need a helping hand
- If it’s an old washer, then tape the electric cable and drain hose to secure them
- Move the washer to your car by a dolly or manpower
- Lift the washer and slide it into your truck making sure that it goes close to the front seats.
- Secure the whole washer in place with straps and fill the side clearances with cushions or pillows if necessary.
After you are done succesfully, check out this interesting post about why ladies sit on dryers.
Related post: How To Fit A Washing Machine In A Hatchback (Easy)
Precautions to take when fitting your washer into a Rav4
- Raise and make use of the cargo hooks provided in your Rav4 for securing loose items.
- Don’t stack anything on your washer higher than the seat backs.
- For a top load washer, ensure that when you fit it in, the control panel should be positioned to face the top. This will reduce the possibility of damaging any of the knobs or digital displays.
- If your top load washer has a glass lid, protect it by strapping a pillow or cushion over them before closing the trunk door.
- Protect the washer edges so they don’t end up breaking any of the car glasses they may be in contact with.
- You should never transport your front load washer with the door or window on the floor of the car to avoid breakages.
- Fix back the transit or shipping bolts on the back of your washer to keep the washer drum secure during transportation. Front load washer would have transit bolts already so no need to worry there.
If you are transporting an old washer, make sure that you properly drain it. After removing the hose, tilt the washer to ensure that all residue water drains out. Else you risk wetting your car which will cause it to smell.
Can you transport a new washing machine on its side?
The best way to transport your washing machine is in an upright position. However, you can transport your new washing machine on any side because they would have shipping bolts fixed at the back that secure and prevents damage to the drum during transportation.
As for old washers, you need to replace the shipping or transit bolts that were fixed on them when they came new before transporting them on any other side.
It is always advisable that you transport your washer upright.
But when transporting it in a Rav4, that may not be possible for a large capacity washer so the least you can do is to make sure that the shipping bolts are in place.
Portable washing machines however may be able to stand upright in a rav4. Just esure that the washer is well secured.
Transporting your washing machine in a Toyota Rav4 shouldn’t be a problem at all as it will be able to fit it pretty easily.
However, you need to do so by taking all the necessary precautions we have explained in this article because it’s not enough to simply drop the washer and drive off.